Life cycle assessment is used to determine the environmental impacts of products and services in order to determine environmentally relevant influencing factors over the entire life cycle.
Life cycle assessment (LCA) according to DIN EN ISO 14040 and DIN EN ISO 14044 is a scientific method for determining the environmental impacts of a product or service.
The aim is to quantify environmentally relevant influencing factors over the entire life cycle, taking into account the use of resources (energy, water, auxiliary and operating materials, raw materials, packaging materials).
A life cycle assessment basically goes through four phases:
- Definition of objectives and scope of investigation: What is to be investigated under which framework conditions?
- Life cycle inventory: Which material and energy flows occur over the entire life cycle?
- Impact assessment: What are the environmentally impacts?
- Evaluation: How are the results (environmental impacts) summarized and assessed?
Advantages at a glance
The results of a life cycle assessment provide a basic overview of the ecological consequences of products and services. Consequently, they can serve as a basis for further decision-making by
- creating a basic awareness of the consequences of products and services on the environment,
- underline economic and ecological optimisation potentials,
- promoting the development of sustainable products.
ift Rosenheim prepares life cycle assessments for your company, your products as well as your services. This forms a solid basis for your individual sustainability strategy.
Life cycle assessments also provide the foundation for the following additional offers from ift Rosenheim:
- Clarification of basic questions and individual customer requirements
- Initial overview of portfolio/services
- Definition of objectives and scope of investigation
Data collection (life cycle inventory)
- Provision of structured data collection sheets
- Determination of all environmentally relevant inputs and outputs along the product/service flow
Life Cycle Assessment (impact analysis)
Quantification of the environmental impacts based on the data provided using life cycle assessment software
Presentation and evaluation of the life cycle assessment results in comprehensive LCA report